FACT CHECK: Inconsistencies in Duterte’s martial law report

MANILA, Philippines — The Duterte administration appeared to have submitted to Congress a martial law report that contained erroneous information on some of the incidents that happened in Marawi City that led to the declaration of martial law in Mindanao last week.

 
 
Several inconsistencies were discovered when we verified the contents of the report submitted by the government to Senate President Aquilino Pimentel and House Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez shortly before 10 p.m. on May 25.
 
This despite the earlier instruction of President Rodrigo Duterte to the Cabinet to be factual and truthful in drafting the report submitted to Congress.
 
 
In its report, the Palace claimed that several establishments, including the Amai Pakpak Medical Center, were taken over by elements of the Maute terrorist group and held several employees as hostages on May 23.
 
However, in a STAR report released on Monday, APMC chief Amer Saber said that the hospital was not overrun by terrorists contrary to the reports that came out on social media that day.
 
His statement corresponded with that of Philippine National Police spokesman Senior Superintendent Dionardo Carlos who said that the terrorists did not take over the hospital and went there to seek medical assistance for a member.
 
“Ito po coming from our counterparts in the AFP (Armed Forces of the Philippines). ‘Yun pong pagpunta ng grupo sa ospital, they did not control the entire hospital. They were there to seek medical assistance dahil may tama ‘yung kanilang kasama,” Carlos said in the press briefing on May 24.
 
“‘Yung mga workers there… they were only asked to provide medical assistance to the wounded members of the terror group,” he added.
 
 

Related posts:

Comments

comments