READ FROM FULL SOURCE ARTICLE:
READ FROM SOURCE: http://www.manilatimes.net/high-court-rule-martial-law-legal/336266/
MANILA, Philippines — House Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez on Thursday warned of a constitutional crisis as he vowed that Congress would disregard any ruling from the Supreme Court compelling it to convene to review President Rodrigo Duterte’s martial law declaration in Mindanao.
“Wala silang karapatan para diktahan ang Kongreso kung anong dapat naming gawin.”
Alvarez, whom Duterte picked to lead the House when he won last year’s presidential election, said the High Court cannot issue an order directing a co-equal branch of government to conduct a joint session.
He even warned that he might even tear the order to pieces.
“Ah, balikan muna nila ang law books. How can the Supreme Court dictate Congress what to do? Co-equal body yan. O, mag-issue ng direktiba ang Supreme Court telling Congress, dictating Congress na, ‘uy, mag convene kayo ng joint session’? Punitin ko ‘yan,” he said.
READ FROM FULL SOURCE ARTICLE: http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2017/06/08/1707980/alvarez-supreme-court-cant-tell-congress-what-do
Duterte on Tuesday imposed martial law in the Mindanao region, home to 20 million people, following deadly clashes in a mostly Muslim-populated city involving militants he said were trying to establish a caliphate for the Islamic State group.
“Until the police and the armed forces say the Philippines is safe, this martial law will continue. I will not listen to others. The Supreme Court, Congress, they are not here,” Duterte told soldiers on Saturday.
“Are they the ones dying and losing blood, bleeding, hemorrhaging because there is no help, no reinforcement? It’s not them.”
“During martial law, your commanders, you, you can arrest any person, search any house. There is no more warrant needed,” Duterte told troops on Friday.
Duterte’s comments contradicted a government statement released on Saturday to explain martial law.
“Warrants of arrest or search warrants should be issued,” the statement from the government’s information agency said.
“No person may be arrested and detained without orders coming from these civil courts.”
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte warned the Supreme Court and Court of Appeals anew not to abuse its power to issue temporary restraining orders (TROs).
“Bakit man kayo mag-TRO, TRO? Do not wait for the day na hindi ako maniwala sa inyo kasi jina-jamming ninyo ang Pilipino eh, kayo mga justices diyan,” said Duterte on Thursday, May 18, during a speech in Tagum City.
(Why do you issue so many TROs? Do not wait for the time when I stop believing you because you are jamming Filipinos, you justices there.)
Duterte cited the specific example of how the CA dealt with the case of Mile Long, a Makati property under the control of the Prieto and Rufino families who own the Philippine Daily Inquirer and Sunvar Realty Development Corporation.
He asked courts to allow the government to implement a Metropolitan Trial Court’s decision ordering Sunvar to vacate the 2.9-hectare property owned by the government but leased to private companies.
“You choose. I am warning you. Either return the property of the government to the people or there will be a time I will not honor your orders and you shall have created a constitutional crisis,” said Duterte.
The Mile Long property was subleased to Sunvar by a company that had leased it from the land’s owners, the Philippine government, and National Power Corporation, until 2002.
In 2002, the government decided not to renew its lease contract but Sunvar refused to vacate the property on which it had constructed commercial buildings and establishments.
The Metropolitan Trial Court in Makati City Branch 61 ruled in 2015 that Sunvar should vacate the property and pay back the government for rentals.
But Sunvar successfully delayed this by filing a petition for injunction before a Makati Regional Trial Court branch to stop the execution of the MTC’s decision.
READ FROM FULL SOURCE ARTICLE: http://www.rappler.com/nation/170286-duterte-warns-supreme-court-ca-abuse-tros